The mission of the Department is to pursue a high standard academic excellence in the development of statistical and demographic tools which will be applied in the interpretation of data generated in different fields of human endeavour. These techniques will be imparted to students of the department of statistics and demography through lectures, seminars and group discussions to equip them to meet challenges of correct data processing and interpretation in Government, quasi-government, academics, industry research institutes worldwide.
- To train middle level professional statisticians and demographers to meet the statistical and educational needs of Government, parastatals, the private sector, and non-governmental organizations.
- To provide service courses to other Departments within the Faculty of Social Science and other Faculties in the University.
- To participate in research so as to improve research capably of staff and students.
- To liaise with the central statistics office in the training of their personnel and work jointly on national projects.
- To provide consultancy/advisory services to various Government institutions, NGOs, the private sector, and to the University community.