The overall mission of the department is to produce students who can make a significant difference in the way journalism, broadcasting, advertising and public relations are practised in Eswatini, by making them master the knowledge and skills that will enable them to function competently in the various professions of mass communication.
- To produce students who can write solid news stories and analyse issues of current public interest;
- To produce students who understand the communication needs and challenges of the country and proffer solutions to them;
- To produce students who can make radio and television programmes that address the problems of society in creative and entertaining ways;
- To produce students who understand the legal and ethical issues that the media face in society so as to perform their duties properly;
- To produce students who can plan and execute effective advertising and public relations campaigns;
- To produce students who have fundamental knowledge about the management and operation of media organisations;
- To produce students who can conduct basic research into problems in journalism and mass communication.