The department aims at developing critical and analytical minds with the ability to use the experience of the past through teaching, research and community service.
- To promote the study of History with a view to enhancing students’ understanding of historical developments in different societies.
- To develop, in students, the capacity for independent and critical interpretation of secondary works and primary source material.
- To provide opportunities for the reconstruction and presentation of historical processes and the conduct of historical research to enhance and contribute to existing knowledge.
- To provide training for potential staff of the University, colleges and national archives, and for the upgrading of secondary school History teachers.
- To develop capacity for multidisciplinary research